After a year or so of carrying my ideas sketchbook around with me and scribbling down any and all thoughts and ideas I had, I have finally started designing my jewellery!
First I measured and cut out possible sizes for my necklaces so I could get an idea of what they may look like in the mirror. This was the bit but i was most unsure about: the size. I had some possible sizes from researching other jewellery designers, but seeing how they looked on myself was really helpful. I also measured and cut out charms from possible supplierers that I thought might work well much my weave designs.
Using the cut outs of the sizes and charms I thought worked together, I worked from my notes and drawings in my ideas sketchbook, as well as looking back at my past Art Deco sketchbook and weave samples. I threw out dozens and dozens of initial designs.
I then scanned in all my designs, printed them, cut them out and tried them on in the mirror again. I thought about the size, composition and chain length, as well as how the design itself looked. If there were any tweaks or improvements to make I did the whole process over again.
Then, using the scanned images I experimented with colour in Photoshop. I matched colours from my research into trends and my Art Deco. Once I had some colour ideas I was happy with I could plan my first warp. I had to pick one width, one warp colour, work out how many samples I could fit on a maximum warp length of 4 metres and how many different weave structures I could weave on my 24 shaft loom. Then I could work out how much yarn I needed to weave it and how much I needed to dye of each colour. Lastly, I looked through my dye records and books to match my chosen colours to natural dyes.
With all that done, I’m ready to dye some yarn and get weaving once I set my new loom up next week! I can’t wait.